In the weeks following Sept 11, five young women present separately to hospitals in New York with identical symptoms. They are unable to swallow, and believe that some debris or body part from the destruction has lodged in their throats. The surgeon who examines them finds no obstruction.
The Howling Girls is a new chamber opera dissecting the medium and metaphor of the voice, its loss and attempted reconstitution. A solo voice constricted, wheezing, stammering, in decay, a teenage chorus of howling girls, an absent mass, an unearthly theremin, a spectacle of fragmented bodies and voices. A sublime aural and perceptual encounter.
- Composer: Damien Ricketson
- Musical Director: Jack Symonds
- Director: Adena Jacobs
- Set & Costume Design: Eugyeene Teh
- Lighting Design: Jenny Hector
- Sound Design: Bob Scott
- With: Jane Sheldon and teenagers from
The House that Dan Built: Grace Campbell,
Kittu Hoyne, Kiri Jenssen, Emily Pincock,
Jayden Selvakumaraswamy, Sylvie Woodhouse
- Dates: 8pm Wed 28 March, Tue 3, Wed 4, Fri 6, Sat 7 April 2018
- Venue: Carriageworks Bay 20, 245 Wilson St Eveleigh
Composers Website: https://www.curiousnoise.com/live/
Venues Website: https://sydneychamberopera.com/?p=2441